April 20, 2021
Late yesterday, Governor Ducey abruptly rescinded orders that direct K-12 schools to require masks. In his press release, 'K-12 school districts and charter schools still maintain the right to institute and enforce policies to mitigate against COVID-19 spread including the use of masks.’
At WCC, we have been able to safely protect our staff and students from the COVID-19 virus by following our mitigation plan for the entire year, following the ADHS guidelines.
After considering Governor Ducey’s recent announcement, we have decided to make the following changes to our school safety procedures.
- ALL levels (1-5) will be able to take masks off during recess and PE; ALL classrooms will continue to be self-contained.
- Levels 1 and 2 are able to remove their masks in the classroom, however, it is highly recommended that masks are used to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Due to state testing, we still have students with compromised immune systems who only come onto campus to test in Levels 3, 4 and 5. To continue to support the health and safety of ALL of our students, mask requirements will remain in place for Levels 3, 4 and 5 until testing is completed.
- On May 3, 2021, students in Levels 3, 4 and 5 may remove their masks in the classroom, however, it is highly recommended that masks are used to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Staff will continue to use masks or shields in the classroom through the remainder of this year. All adults coming onto campus will be required to wear a mask.
We appreciate your patience and support as we continue to focus on teaching our students, while keeping them safe.
Jennifer L. Baker